Sunday, November 11, 2012

stay patient....

I'm having to physically restrain myself from posting Snippets of my NaNo story, which, as it turns out, will now be called The Shadow Conspiracy. Thanks for the ideas, guys!

Anyway, I am eagerly awaiting November's Snippets of Story. It's very hard --- mentally, as I write, I pick out what will make the cut for Snippets and what won't. Things are piling up, and as I excitedly check Katie's blog every day to see if Snippets are ready, I wish I could find something to post! That isn't already going to be posted for Snippets!

However, I am going to indulge myself and post one segment. Just one. Then I will continue to hold myself back. (Arrgh.) xD

~

“Fine then.”
            In the blink of an eye, the girl leapt forward. Sophie didn’t even have time to scream. Her dagger held upright, the girl flew through the air --- and landed on Sophie’s torso.
            “Oof!” Sophie gasped.
            Chuckling humorlessly, sitting comfortably on Sophie’s stomach, the girl, her face enveloped in shadow, pried Sophie’s fingers open like they weren’t there and took the necklace.
            “Why don’t you take the earrings too, while you’re at it?” said Sophie scornfully.
            “My boss only wants the necklace,” said the girl indifferently.
            “But ---” said Sophie, a little taken aback, “If you’re a thief --- won’t you, you know, take what’s available, give nothing back?”
            “I steal because I have to,” said the girl. “Not everyone’s life is as fabulous as yours, Prissy. My kind of people? We don’t have fancy clothes and big houses. In fact, we don’t have houses at all.”
            Sophie blinked. “But --- where on earth are you from? In King’s Crossing ---”
            The girl laughed. “King’s Crossing! Not everyone is in King’s Crossing. I am from the Lower East Side.”
            Sophie’s eyes widened. “The --- Lower ---”
            “That’s right,” said the girl, standing up and releasing Sophie. “The Lower East Side. There, we have to steal to survive. You know nothing.”
             Sophie stood, her body and face still hidden in shadow. For once, somebody had rendered her speechless.




4 comments:

  1. Oo, I sense an epic story coming up... How's NaNo coming? Word count?! Looking forward to reading your post when Snippets arrives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. xD so far, its 17109 and its going fairly well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exciting! I am eager for the snippets now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jack! I'm excited as well :)

    ReplyDelete