Monday, May 7, 2012

Masquerade

I think I will be replacing The Wanted with Masquerade, a book about two lands: Dreams and Reality. Here's part of the first chapter. The character's name is temporary....I'm not even sure whether it will be a boy or girl yet. But, for now, it's a girl named Eden Maleia.


If you're reading this, you're about to discover that you live in one of two worlds – Dreams or Reality. If you want to live in ignorance, that's fine by me. It would probably be safest for you anyway … you won't pine away from lost or waning desires, broken or false dreams, or things you deserve that you don't get.
But, if you want to read on, that's fine too.
Hi. I'm Eden, Eden Maleia. I'm your pretty much average fourteen year old girl, except for the fact that I'm perfect.
Yes, you heard me – perfect.
I don't want to sound prideful or snobby or anything – really, I'm not – but that's the truth … at least when you live in the land of Dreams.
The land of Dreams is a nice, cozy little city off the coast of the Sea of Illusions. It has green hills, and it's always sunny and balmy here. Well – unless you want it to snow, and then you would go off to some mountain on the edge of Dreams and wish for it.
Yes, you heard me – wish for it.
In the land of Dreams, you can have anything you want. Anything. Just ask, and you will receive. In the land of Dreams, you can eat all you want and never get fat (unless you want to); play whatever sport or explore any hobby you wish, and you will suddenly find that you have the talent for it; own any pet, shirt, house, car, or anything else you can think of that you want, and much more.
Believe me, it's wonderful.
I was thinking about how wonderful the land of Dreams was when I was walking to school one morning (the one thing that stinks about the land of Dreams – underage people still have to do school) and I bumped into a stranger on the street.
“Sorry,” I said breathlessly.
The stranger did not say anything – he just turned towards me and stared. I stared back. He was unlike anyone or anything I'd seen before – he was a little taller than me, dressed in a long brown trenchcoat, black boots, and a black bowler hat that was tilted over his eyes so his face was covered in shadow. I could hear keys or coins clinking and jangling together in his pockets, and when he moved, I could hear a hardly perceptible grating sound, like the sound of steel sliding upon steel.
I felt him study me, and despite my impertinent, slightly rebellious nature, I looked away and began walking away as fast as possible. I risked a glance over my shoulder, and I saw him, growing smaller as I picked up my pace, still staring after me with great interest.
Weirdo.
Shaken, I entered the schoolhouse. It was relatively small (there weren't many young people in the land of Dreams … no one wants them anymore) so there were only about ten people in the entire school.
School was boring today. I couldn't sit still; my mind was wandering. Wandering to the shady stranger.

2 comments:

  1. I think I know where you got this idea... ;-) I like it, but you are beginning to have a theme of mysterious people stalking the main characters. Just a thought.
    - Grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maddie, I might keep the Wanted...I don't know.

    And, yes, Grace....though this stranger wasn't stalking her. Just staring. For now. :) And as for the Phantom Tollbooth, I didn't like it very much. I only admire Norton Juster's cleverness, and I sorta stole his idea for Dreams and Reality. :)

    ReplyDelete