Friday, October 12, 2012

Snippets of Story: October

I really love these Snippets. Gives me something to look forward to every month =P



The woman, Opal, sighed, crestfallen. “I have waited for fourteen years, my lord, I cannot wait any longer!”
Igdoscio held up a hand. “Do not throw your complaints at me,” he snarled. “You will wait as long as I say you will wait, and that is the end of the discussion!”
Opal bowed low, muttering to herself.
“However, I do need those weaklings corralled as soon as possible,” Igdoscio said, thinking aloud. “Opal,” he ordered, “send out five of our best assassins. And tell them ...” --- a nasty smile played on his face --- “... tell them that I am only interested in the redhead. They can do what they like to the extras.”
Opal smiled. “As you wish, my lord.”
Igdoscio chuckled to himself as Opal left. He wasn't one that believed in maniacal evil laughs; it made your opponent believe you to be a mad idiot, and besides, in this day and age, it was too cliché. I am original, Igdoscio thought to himself, straightening his sword. I do not laugh madly …. I plan. I scheme. I …
Igdoscio smiled again, a smile that would make the knees of the bravest man knock together, a smile that would send fiercest animal running and cowering in fright. I win.


The Search for the Allies




Jazmyn?”
Jazmyn whirled around so fast she whipped herself in the face with her shiny black hair.
“Are you okay?”
Noah poked his white blond head out of the folds of the tent, his baggy tunic hanging low.
Jazmyn sniffled and turned back to face the woods. “Yeah … I'm fine.”
Noah crawled out and sat next to her. “Is it the flashbacks again?” he asked gently.
Jazmyn turned to him sharply. “The fl --- what --- how --- how do you know about those?”
Noah glanced up at the stars. “I overheard Riko talking about them,” he said quietly. “I didn't mean to. I just did.”
Jazmyn looked away. “Yes and no … I … I don't know. I just wish … wish I ...”
Noah nodded. “I understand. I'm sorry you have to go through this, Jazmyn, but everyone has their own personal struggles. You just have to push through it. Overcome it.” he looked deep into her eyes. “I know you can do it.”
Jazmyn was speechless. Noah had never acted so serious … so wise! “I … er ...”
He smiled slightly. “Why don't you get some sleep. I'll take over from here.”
Jazmyn crawled back to the tent, at a loss for words. Suddenly, though, she turned, reached out, and touched his shoulder. “Noah … thank you.”


The Search for the Allies

Dakota's eyes widened. There was a stiff silence, and Dakota felt like she did not know the whole of how horrible it would be if that rumor was true.
“Okay – well –” Dakota pulled her knees up onto the chair and hugged them to her chest. “I was wondering – will you train me during the mission? I feel like I don't know anything --- about fighting and all that --- I mean, it'll be perfect timing, it'll be --- you know --- hands-on and everything ---”
“You'll be fine, you're a fast learner,” soothed Jazmyn. “And of course I'll train you. We'll start tomorrow. Meet me in the Clearing at dawn.”
“At dawn?
“Yes – we're leaving after Morning Meeting – is there something wrong with the dawn?”
Dakota blinked. There was a problem with dawn. “I – er – I don't do alarm clocks.”
Jazmyn shrugged. “That's no big deal, as long as you don't mind sleeping without a nightlight.”
“Why?”
“I can shadow-travel, remember? I'll just jump into your room through the shadows and wake you up.”
“Oh – okay – what do you need me at dawn for?”
“A quick training session, of sorts.” Jazmyn looked excited, nervous, and breathless all at the same time.
“Ah.” Dakota glanced at the clock on Jazmyn's nightstand – 7:45. “I need to go – Ashton will start to worry, then she'll tell somebody that I'm missing.”
“Right. Well …” Jazmyn grinned. “See you bright and early tomorrow. This is going to be fun!”
Dakota couldn't see what would be fun about getting up at the break of dawn, but she just shrugged noncommitedly and smiled encouragingly.


The Search for the Allies





So, all in all, we have eight minutes to get out of here?” Dakota gasped.
“Yes.”
“Great. Just … great.”
“Well, Dakota,” said Jazmyn, her mouth twitching, “you wanted some action and hands-on learning --- here you go.”
“Hey, when I said hands-on, I didn't mean getting electrocuted, locked up in a puke-inducing Cage, chased by an insane centaur, and running for my life five times a day. Oh --- no offense, Brigh.”
“None taken.” she grunted.
“I know you’re trying to lighten the mood,” said Saphira calmly, “but unless you want to get caught, I’d suggest that you stop talking.”

The Search for the Allies




9 comments:

  1. Hehe!! I laughed at the last one. And the second to last one is brilliant too. Love the line, "couldn't see what would be fun about getting up at the break of dawn". Amen to that! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cait! I agree -- getting up at dawn is no fun. (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are all really great. The first sent chills down my spine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's good....that was the desired reaction. :) Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book sounds so amazing and fun and exciting. I want to read it.

    Allons-y!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love that last one. Soooo funny! :)

    I tagged you! http://notebooksisters.blogspot.com.au/2012/10/popular.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone! And yay Mime! I love tags :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ack! I'm sorry I'm late... (I ment to comment after you so kindly left a comment on my blog.)I like the first one. Especially this line
    "He wasn't one that believed in maniacal evil laughs; it made your opponent believe you to be a mad idiot, and besides, in this day and age, it was too cliché. I am original, Igdoscio thought to himself, straightening his sword. I do not laugh madly …. I plan. I scheme."

    The last one is very amusing as well. How do you come up with such interesting and original names?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lilly: I'm sorry, I'm late too! :) And thanks. I don't quite know how the name thing works .... smacking your head into the keyboard when you're frustrated and suddenly seeing a name appear amidst the jumbled letters works, though. Or looking up an attribute of the character in other languages --- not just German or French, but Estonian and a vague African dialect. That works too. :)

      Delete