Friday, July 13, 2012

The Dreamcatchers

Haven't posted in a while. :( Life has been busy. Very busy.

And because life has been so hectic and crazy, I have not had much time to write. Over the span of at least a week I have hardly written five pages. It's so sad. :(

And I'm also experiencing a slight case of writer's block, so that doesn't help.

However, I did come up with an idea for another story. That's a thing about me -- I can come up with so many various storylines, but when I actually go to sit down at my computer to write them my inspiration and excitement peters out and I can't continue. So far, Dakota Ryan is the only one of my greater ideas that hasn't died yet. :)

So, here's my latest idea. Don't expect me to continue with it (it'll probably become like The Wanted or Masquerade -- thrown in my mental archives) but it feels good to get this idea out of my head.

...

There is a parallel world overlapping Earth called Morduca. The Morducans are humanoid beings who have the ability to enter EDs' (Earth Dwellers) minds only when the EDs are sleeping, for that is when their mind is the least active and the most vulnerable. The Morducans can create dreams from random thoughts floating around in the EDs brains. The reason the MD create dreams is because if the EDs minds are not occupied with something while they sleep the humans may accidentally drift over to Morduca, which would expose Morduca to the humans and the MDs don't want that.

In the 1800s a foolish, slightly evil man finds out about the Morducans. The MDs send one of their generals, a shifty man by the name of ___ (Writer's block is affecting me..) to go kill the human. The MDs would rather not kill the human, but they have no choice now.

Once the general has done the killing he discovers that he likes to torture humans and decides that he will torture them through nightmares, created by their own random thoughts. He formulates an army and goes around Earth, trying to torture as many humans as possible.

However he is trying to find a way to create nightmares based on another person's thoughts -- for, if a dream/nightmare is created from the victim's thoughts then the victim can, with enough strength of mind, change the dream/nightmare to "do" what the victim wants. If the nightmare/dream was based on someone or something else's thoughts, then the victim would have no control and it would seem more real to them.

315 years later, General __ still hasn't succeeded, but he is very very close.

Enter ____ (Something funky ... like Eden, Zora, or Brylee. Or something like that). She is a Morducan/human hybrid (father was MD, mother was ED), and her existence is illegal according to the Morducan government, who's main law is that no MD will have any contact with an ED except through dreams.

...

That's all I've got. Still a work in progress. I work on it when I'm bored, and I'm temporarily burned out for Dakota Ryan. But, what do you think? Like? Dislike?

4 comments:

  1. Like! Definate like!

    I'm a big fan of "dreams" or even "visions". Eventually, I want to write a series based on dreams and a boy's ablitiy to minipulate them. Just have to finish my current WIP. First! (I'm one of those weird people who only have 1 project going at a time. :P)

    I feel for you with the writers block! I get it SO much and it's devastating. But keep going! Don't give up now! I find a really good way to get through writers block is to actually have a break, do something fun, STOP thinking about the problem with the book...and then later come back to it a few days later. Sometimes it works. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to try your writer's block tip. It sounds like it would work for me. :)

      I'm a fan of dreams too....they're so fascinating :)

      I do work on one project at a time...problem is, I have all these ideas running around in my head, and I have to spit them out somehow! ;) I normally write on those for a bit then go back to my original story. Which is, in this case, Firechild. :)

      Delete
    2. Oh yes! I second the "ideas running around my head". I have that too!! I have ideas for at least 8 of my books having a little party and demanding attention. But I refuse to listen to them! :P

      Delete
  2. I wouldn't worry about names too much. I still don't know the name of my main character in Moral-less! ;-)
    - Grace

    ReplyDelete